Doesn’t this gorgeous lemon colour just say Spring?! It’s like the sunshine! With Easter coming up this weekend, make ahead dessert is a great way to prep. Lemon curd is super easy and keeps in the fridge for several days. Spoon it onto anything like mixed fruit, plain yogurt, or a slice of sponge cake. It makes an every day thing just a little more special.
what you need:
- 2 or 3 large lemons
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
what to do:
- Thoroughly wash lemons.
- Using a microplane, zest the lemon (avoid white pith) until you have about 1 1/2 tbsp zest. Set aside.
- Cut lemon in half and juice until you get 3/4 cup.
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk sugar, lemon juice and eggs over medium heat. Whisk until thickened (when it coats the whisk) – about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add zest and butter and salt. Whisk until butter is melted.
- Pour through a fine strainer to remove random egg bits and zest.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Serve cold with fruit, cake, yogurt, or even dip cookies in it…ENJOY!