Baby food doesn’t have to be bland and boring! Introduce your baby to new flavours (even spices!) gently so that they can transition more easily later on to enjoy dinners with you as toddlers and kids!
Here, I’ve used two thick slices of ginger to give the carrot, pea, and lentil puree a little warmth and soothing effect for the tummy. It also helps with digestion!
what you need:
*makes about 2 16oz mason jars
**tip: if you are freezing some, make sure there is plenty of room in your jar so that it doesn’t crack from expansion in your freezer
- two chunky slices of fresh ginger
- 3 large carrots
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
what to do:
- Peel carrots and ginger. Cut carrots roughly for quicker cooking. Add to medium sized cooking pot.
- Rinse lentils, add to carrots and ginger.
- Cover with cold water, just enough so that the carrots are 3/4 submerged.
- Using an instant pot , cook on high pressure for 12 min. Alternatively, you can cook this stove top – bring to a boil on high heat, then simmer gently on low for 20 minutes, until carrots are very tender (you may need to add water as you simmer).
- Once the carrots are tender, remove from heat and carefully remove ginger slices.
- Add frozen green peas. Stir.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree until desired smoothness (you know what your baby can handle!).
- Store in mason jars. Enjoy!